[access-uk] Re: Fw: Response from Lloyds TSB re chip & pin at home

  • From: "Graham Page" <gpage@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 21:22:13 +0100

simple. the reality is that that signatures ar not secure and convenient.
They soon wipe off the strip on the back of your card and then the card has
to be refused if playing stricly by the book.  if this does not happen then
the validity of the signature is taken on trust.  With chip and pin, the
details of the card have to be known along with the pin.

The only way a chip and signature system could be secure is if all machines
are linked to a database of signatures that can be checked against.

Both systems of course only work in face to face transactions at the moment.
on most web sites I use, I only have to give the card number, start date,
end date, and 3 digit security number.  This info can be easily found by,
for example, someone who takes your card and scans it in a restaurant.

Cheers

Graham