[access-uk] Re: Chip and pin online banking.

  • From: "Derek Hornby" <derek.hornby_uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 14:29:57 +0100

Barry said:
"The thing is if we have an opt out then we're not as secure as
peers who can use the technology."

Yes but that's same as the chip and PIN in the shops.
If  we  opt for  chip and Signature in the shops, there is a higher risk
of  fraud  compared to  if we use chop and PIN  in the shops.
I  would  think  if there is  to be an opt out for the chip  and PIN
at home, on grounds of  disability,  the banks may have to  take the
responsibility  should there be any fraud, just as they do now
take on the  responsibility if there is fraud for  chip and
signature in the  shops.

Regards,
Derek

e-mail: derek.hornby_uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"The key is to get the technology working and used by all.  If the device,
(whatever it may be), can be plugged in when prompted and communicate
with the network unattended, I think this would be the better route than
opting out."

I wonder what  The RNIB  is doing on this  matter?