[access-uk] Re: Chip and pin online banking.

  • From: "Colin Fowler" <col.fowler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 05:59:21 +0100

Hi Martin,

The assurety given to you by your bank is complete nonsense. There is
nothing in the DDA which defines the compliance of an individual product or
service. The DDA deals with the way in which that service is delivered. For
any of the banks to introduce technology without ensureing that you or I are
at no disadvantage compared with others for whom a similar reason would not
apply is the core of the matter. Has anyone asked what reasonable
adjustments the banks propose implementing?

I would suggest that this is the most important fact that as yet, appears to
be missing in all the posts I have read. Indeed some useability and
accessibility consultation should have been undertaken by the banks with
minority user groups, and one would have hoped that the RNIB may have been
involved at this stage. Alas, after the disaster Royal Mail encountered with
the involvement of the RNIB with the first roll out of PIN pads, there is
every chance that the banks shyed away from makeing a similar mistake.

Best regards

Colin

Colin Fowler

Disability Consultant