[access-uk] Re: Bt total broadband - was ISP providers

  • From: "Graham Page" <gpage@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 11:48:48 -0000

rather than glibbly refering to them as our coloured friends in india, I believe it is worth considering a few issues as to why the service is poor that have little to do with colour or race.

Firstly, I do accept that there are likely to be increased issues when it comes to accent. Often after all people in the same country with different accents find it hard to understand each other. This is in my opinion not the only barrier to understanding. Often the quality of line is terrible. Voices have a hissy indistinct quality that make them difficult to understand.

I think the issue of working to a script is a problem though. It's hard for anyone to work with people from a different country without having been there. 1 or 2 day cultural training programs delivered in the office just don't do it. It's not that one country is better than another but they are different. I always find it better to just get straight on with the meat of the call in these situations rather than trying to make small talk. teaching people manufactured small talk about the weather or fish and chips does not help!

lastly and importantly to offer good technical support on something the person you are dealing with really needs to have personal experience of the service including the types of equipment used. if the problem is complex or unusual and the person is working from a script this quickly shows. This is shown even more clearly when you start talking about being visually impaired. Sometimes you get a person in these call centres who does use the internet at home and then you can start to get somewhere as you have something in common.

You never know when you may need technical support and the last thing you want is someone pretending to offer you technical support who has no knowledge of the product apart from what they can read in front of them on pieces of paper or the screen.

While for many services like Tiscali are very good, it is often only when problems occur that you can really start to sepparate the good services from the bad ones. I think offering this tokenistic level of customer service says something about how little companies do actually value their customers as does writing Dear Valued Customer at the beginning of a message rather than using mail merge to find the person's name. These things did have a hand in my decision to go with PlusNet. A couple of years ago technical support quality did start to slip and so did the company rating. Steps have been taken to remedy this and ratings have recovered somewhat.

Regards

Graham
Graham Page
Home Phone: 0207 265 9493