[Wittrs] Re: Ontologically Basic Ambiguity: Mode of Existence

  • From: Gordon Swobe <gts_2000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 13:28:54 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Mon, 3/22/10, SWM <wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Where do you think Searle says anything about his
> trying to understand Chinese as being a feature of the
> system? Does a CPU "try" to understand Chinese? If it did,
> we would say it already has intentionality

The CRA illustrates that EVEN IF the CPU or the system as a whole had
consciousness and intentionality and all the good things that you and I
have, including billions of powerful interconnected brain cells, an
English education, and a genuine desire to understand Chinese, it STILL
would not understand Chinese from manipulating symbols according to
syntactical rules.

Our man has everything we could possibly mean by "strong AI", but still he
doesn't get it.

-gts