[Wittrs] Re: Current Brain Research: Causal Model?

  • From: "BruceD" <blroadies@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 19:34:58 -0000

From APA Monitor on Psychology. April 2010

Research by UCLA cognitive neuroscientist finds that a brain area appear
to be the key to persuasion.  Working from a causal model you'd expect
them to find the brain area that causes persuasion. Do they?

Logic of their research. Find the brain area that "lights up" on the
fMRI when a person is being persuaded. They find it. It's an area that
"lights up" when people are  "taking the perspective of others." The
researchers reason " "a convincing argument forces people to think about
someone else's point of view." That's why this area "lights up" when
they find themselves being persuaded.

They concluded. "Our data are consistent with the notion that if you get
someone to step into your shoes psychologically, you might be halfway
home in terms of persuading them to see the content of the message the
way you want them to."

My question: To what extent, if any, is this research consistent with a
causal
account of mind? Just what is causally connected with what?

"A convincing argument forces" does not mean the argument "causes", it
means that if a person can take on the point of view of another, what is
said will be more appealing, etc. This is an intentional, purposive
model, not a mechanical causal one.

What is the role of the brain area under study. It not said to cause
anything. It is correlated with being "taking the view of the other."
The role it plays is comparable to my fingers when I play the piano.
Unconsciously, out of awareness, my fingers go to the correct notes. My
fingers don't cause the music, nor are they playing the music. I'm
playing music with my fingers. The subjects are using their brain in
coming to terms with the presented argument.

The above account posits no mental realm or substance while
acknowledging the qualities of experience and a sense of purpose.

bruce

My read: These researchers begin with a person who uses his brain for
this and that.
They confirm which part of the brain is being used. But the subject's
brain isn't a
causal factor, rather it is an instrument, a means, for accomplishing a
goal.