[Wittrs] Re: Does Dennett throw out the baby with the bathwater?

  • From: "BruceD" <blroadies@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 19:17:46 -0000

> Dennett denies the reality of mental states as normal people think of
them. He denies that you have direct knowledge of your own experience
(qualia) and denies that you have such things in your head as thoughts,
beliefs and desires.

Does he denial the reality? Stuart says "No." It seems to me that your
next paragraph is on the mark.

> He denies these common sense ideas because, according to the
behaviorist tradition from which he hails, mental states do not lend
themselves to scientific (third-person) observation and so ought to be
disregarded as something less than real...

for the purposes study, of acquiring knowledge.

What I find intriguing is D's notion of "intentional stance." He
obviously HAS ONE. He isn't merely attributing it to himself  But when
he comes to me, he only allows for attribution. But he does not actually
attribute a intentional stance to me. He only allows "as if" because, in
the  end, for him, I'm no different from a robot that appears
intentional.

bruce