[Wittrs] Re: Current Brain Research: Causal Model?

  • From: "BruceD" <blroadies@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 00:00:40 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "SWM" <SWMirsky@...> wrote:

> ... to account for the presence of consciousness in the universe,
> we don't need to posit anything more than what physics already tells
us

is the doctrine of non-emergence, namely, that all experiences of all
things can be accounted for in terms of physical particles and forces.
Why not? The bible says we are made from dust. And so we do all begin as
a glob. Yet even then the glob has a directionality that is not
accounted for by the particles and the forces.  Why not some day? That's
the burden of my remarks. To show why and how emergence (not
non-emergence) is an intrinsic part of nature.

bruce