[Wittrs] Re: Current Brain Research: Causal Model?

  • From: "BruceD" <blroadies@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 01 May 2010 01:12:17 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "SWM" <SWMirsky@...> wrote:

> Remove the parts and there goes the whole.

So you agree that the mind is a whole, not to be identified with any of
its parts? And that would mean that mind, in contrast to brain, isn't
located in the space/time of brain events. BTW: That also excluding
spinning wheels that change in space-time.

> The brain doesn't cause the person to feel...

In a related Post you wrote that the brain causes experiences. Now there
is a person who feels these experiences. So where is the person in your
model

> So the neurobiologist should be investigating what we do to cause
ourselves to be conscious, etc.

Should and do. How we wake ourselves and put our selves to sleep is a
research area familiar to me. Be clear. "We" doesn't refer to ones
immediate awareness but everything that goes on peripherally in order to
yield a behavioral directionality. This is not a causal account as found
in physics and chemistry. It focuses not on what prior events make
something happen but what anticipated outcomes give shape to behavior.

bruce