[C] [Wittrs] Re: Re: Wittgenstein, Translations & "Queer"

  • From: CJ <castalia@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2010 23:45:24 -0500

Sean, J,

when too much philosophizing can be just plain too much

I think the world of you two guys...but talk about making a "mountain out of a molehill".  It's clear that the main issue on the part of the trendy new translation is nothing more than a patronizing disregard for their readers, with the translator's assuming that Wittgenstein must be predigested and spoon fed to the MTV generation of dysfunctional readers who don't know or don't care what "queer" actually meant before it's cooping by gender politics.

Indeed, even if it mattered in the least bit how we can pares the meaning of the word "queer", which in fact had no role in the decision to abandon Anscombe's translation, the word "queer" connotes not only "odd or strange" but actually conveys, as you can see from the Merriam-Webster below a sense of "counterfeit" and also as anyone over the age of 16 can probably dig down and attest, also conveys a "subjective feeling of sorts" as well,  a feeling of lack of genuineness.....moreso than just a commentary on the 'oddness" of an object or external.

Lastly, you'll see that even Merriam-Webster points us to the angst of the frantically politically correct among us in their definition which is all that's really behind this needless meddling with Wittgenstein's words..

Honestly, guys ...too much philosophy can be just plain too much.  When there is nothing but a desperate need to be trendy and politically correct and to patronize the reader by assuming the reader doesn't know that actual meaning of a word, let's just call things as we see them .  Queer.

Go to homepage.

queer

Looking for Definition? Find exactly what you want today.

Main Entry: 1queer
Pronunciation: \ˈkwir\
Function: adjective
Etymology: origin unknown
Date: 1508
1 a : worthlesscounterfeit <queer money> b : questionablesuspicious
2 a : differing in some odd way from what is usual or normal (1) : eccentric,unconventional (2) : mildly insane : touched c : absorbed or interested to an extreme or unreasonable degree : obsessed (1) often disparaging : homosexual(2) sometimes offensive : gay 4b
3 : not quite well
— queer·ish  \-ish\ adjective
— queer·ly adverb
— queer·ness noun
usage Over the past two decades, an important change has occurred in the use ofqueer in sense 2d. The older, strongly pejorative use has certainly not vanished, but a use by some gay people and some academics as a neutral or even positive term has established itself. This development is most noticeable in the adjective but is reflected in the corresponding noun as well. The newer use is sometimes taken to be offensive, especially by older gay men who fostered the acceptance ofgay in these uses and still have a strong preference for it.
On Jan 5, 2010, at 11:25 PM, Sean Wilson wrote:

(J)

... I think that was an excellent defense. I cannot dispute the the cogency of its appeal. But let me at least offer another perspective. It isn't necessarily one I believe, more than it is one I "feel" (as a passion). It goes like this:

1. Wittgenstein knew English well enough. And the test of when one comes to know a word, generally speaking, is when one can deploy it. And Wittgenstein had a pattern of using the _expression_ "queer" in English, which presumably conformed to a usage he picked up in the language culture. None of this is to deny that he could be using a strange sense of the word. But I think the general gist of "queer" is "weird." (peculiar?).

2. I do not deny that the translation should be focused on Wittgenstein's German text rather than his English. But what I might deny is that his German is free from the similar peculiarities that you see in his English. There are historical sources for this. Monk and others note that his German expressions could mean something ordinary and peculiar all at the same time. There are scores of accounts of him being frustrated with translations of his work. (From Waisman, to Rhees, to anyone). Wittgenstein had a serious historical problem with people understanding his philosophy, even in his own language. I want to suggest this is because of the way he philosophized and the intensity of his ideas (as well as his personality). His thoughts, in a way, sort of "breached" language. Monk writes, "Wittgenstein's language has the singularly rare quality of being both colloquial and painstakingly precise." (414).

3. Note that weird/peculiar is similar to, and in some cases synonymous with, "odd, strange or curious" (the translations for seltsam), and only cousin to "remarkable" or "extraordinary" (some of the translations for merkwurdig). The question seems to boils down in the first instance (seltsam) to a code of style -- aristocrats don't say "queer" -- and in the second (merkwurdig) for a more specific sense, for clarity's sake. Or, the question boils down to this: Wittgenstein's English didn't know the Queen's word for weird, and he couldn't mind p's and q's when it came to some basic English expressions.

I must tell you I have trouble with the latter idea. I think Wittgenstein knowingly deployed "queer" because of its mystical aesthetic. Think of the intensity of the riddle that is suggested by such an _expression_. Think of the intensity of the mind. Odd or curious are words that say something more cold about the nonconformity. "Queer" in this sense has the connotation of "bizarre." So I fear that an aesthetic quality may be washed away.

The real questions, it seems, are twofold: (a) what is the German equivalent, if any, for "bizarre" or "weird" where the same is informal and suggestive of something mysterious (intensely felt as such); and (b) did Wittgenstein use such a word in his German? Let us call such a word X. If X exists and Wittgenstein used it on occasion, I'm inclined to say merkwurdig is interpreted correctly, and that seltsam MAY be (hard to say). But if W never or barely used X -- or if X doesn't exist -- I may be more inclined to say that an exceedingly difficult philosopher has a peculiar way of speaking at times that may affect seltsam and possibly merkwurdig (harder case here). [Note: I don't speak a word of German]. I wonder if there is a change from his original notebooks or typescripts to the final one? Be interesting if X were crossed out for one of the others. That would be a smoking gun.

4. Consider Plato and "the forms." If you were translating that -- from Greek, right? -- would you use "essences" as the meaning? And if you would not, is this similar or different to what is happening here? (It may be different. I'm not sure)

5. Don't you find the below statement a bit arrogant?

"In the changes we have introduced to the first 107 remarks of the Investigations, we have paid careful attention to Wittgenstein's responses to Rush Rhees's translation of 1938-9 (TS 226). Wittgenstein went over Rhees often imperfect draft carefully, together with Yorick Smythies, and he made numerous changes and corrections on the typescript by hand. To be sure, he was not a native English speaker, and not all of his corrections are improvements. But where he changed a translation that was subsequently used also by Anascombe, his proposal always merits close attention. ...[And where] he did NOT change some of Rhees's translation where it differs importantly in meaning from Anascombe's is always noteworthy."  (PI, 4th, xiii)

Compare with Monk. Monk says (414) that Wittgenstein shelved publishing the parts of PI that he had completed in 38 for two reasons: he came to doubt the second half of the book dealing with philosophy of mathematics (needed further work), and he did not like Rhees translation. He writes regarding Rhees translation, "Wittgenstein, who was never easily pleased with any attempt by others to represent his thoughts, was horrified at what he saw." (414).

Anyway, I am not really arguing for or against anything. This is all at the level of "wonder." I don't even have a specific translated _expression_ that I am disagreeing about. I am just talking out loud. My only "point" is to express a bad feeling I have that some of the judgments may be in the nature of style and copy editing. I don't know for sure.

Regards.

Dr. Sean Wilson, Esq.
Assistant Professor
Wright State University