[wisb] North Woods

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 18:53:38 -0600

I spent the day checking out a few spots in the north woods.
Menominee co was very quiet on the way up;  only Raven and a few BC
Chickadees at a feeder, the latter in Langlade co.  I worked up to
Fire Lane Rd in Vilas co, arriving around 9:30.  I decided to walk
rather than ride the road.
On the way in the only birds seen were 2 Ravens and 10 Red
Crossbills.  However as I worked my way  out things were much more
active.  (I walked in about a mile to mile and half.)  Found along
the way back were 2 Spruce Grouse, 30 White-winged and 20 Red
Crossbills, a Br. Creeper, a Black-backed WP, several BC Chickadees
and a Boreal Chickadee, about 15 Red-br. Nuthatches, 5+ Common
Redpolls and a Hoary Redpoll, a few more Ravens, 1 Crow, 2 Blue Jays,
a Hairy WP.  (Sorry Pete;  should have warned you before you read this.)

What a contrast was FR 2182 and Alvin.  I arrived at Alvin around
noon and with the wind blowing there was no activity at any feeders.
2182 was almost as bad.  I heard a Gray Jay at the Pine River
crossing and saw a Raven near the west end.  That was it for birds
and I drove slow and walked at various spots.  Probably the highlight
on this road was a raccoon before the junction with 2174.

And another animal highlight was  coyote walking on the ice of the
Wolf River in Menominee co, about 2/3 way along Hwy 55.

The only missed finches today were curiously the two grosbeaks---Pine
and Evening.  While the wind was some what of a factor, especially in
the p.m., the mild temps---upper 30s to 40 and partly cloudy skies
made for a nice day, especially on Fire Lane Rd.  (I think today was
the quietest I have ever seen birds on 2182.)

Daryl Tessen
Appleton, WI