[wisb] The Crossley Guide

  • From: Thomas Schaefer <schaefertrees@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 21:51:52 -0600

Received my pre-ordered copy today.  Certainly a departure from what birders
are used to seeing!  Species are placed in diorama-like settings- with proper
background habitats. Some of the plates' backgrounds get a tad busy, but
overall they are beautifully done.  Guide is real sturdy with a heft to it- not
something for the field but certainly for the front seat.  Also nice is one
specie/page.  Photographs may not be as sharp as Stokes', but the simplicity
more than makes up for that re: species descriptions.  Stokes is too detailed.
Crossley is just the facts.  It still won't beat out my all-time favorite Nat.
Geo. (everything they attach their name to always turns out well) but a buy
just for its completely new design.  And besides, you gotta have them all
anyway!

Tom Schaefer
Hartford
Washington County####################