[wisb] The Crossley Guide

  • From: "Wayne & Susie" <wsrohde@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 17:08:47 -0600

My opinion?

1) Peterson > Crossley.
2) Geo > Crossley.
3) Sibley > Crossley.

Then again, I like Peterson (for newbies), as well as Geo and Sibley (for
more advanced birders).

And I still like painted guides to ID better than photo guides (though
Kaufman and the Smithsonian aren't bad).

On the other hand, there's some features of Crossley which have merit -
particularly seeing birds in so many poses at so many angles with so many
plumages, etc.

Bottom line?

To me, Crossley fills a niche.  But Peterson/Geo/Sibley remain the real deal
for bird ID.

Wayne Rohde - maybe I'll take another look at Crossley tonight ... while I
watch AH's "The Birds!"
Walworth, WI