[wisb] Bluebirds

  • From: "Meredith" <net.notes@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisbirdn" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 08:55:55 -0500

Hi all,
Sadly, I discovered yesterday our baby bluebirds had all died in the nest.
They hatched while we were in Florida so I'm not positive how old they were
but probably 7-10 days.

It seemed as though the parents were tending them well and they were
thriving from the way they looked then we had two cold nights in a row, low
50s. I was feeding some meal worms, not as many as last year but it didn't
seem like the parents were sitting on the worm feeder in need of food
either.

I wasn't able to even take a look at them on Tuesday, then on Wednesday
morning I found them all dead. I haven't seen the parents since.

Is it possible some bacteria or another could have killed them? Or does it
sound more like they starved? Do parents ever just abandon a nest?

Thanks,

Meredith Daggett

Mineral Point, WI