[wisb] Bluebirds

  • From: "Meredith" <net.notes@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisbirdn" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 21:42:04 -0500

Hi again,
Well, it's Day 17 and the babies have fledged. There were five eggs in the
nest and I never saw any unhatched or shells so I believe they all made it
out alive.
I've had my nose pressed expectantly to the window overlooking the bluebird
yard since Tuesday (Day 15)but of course the happy event occurred while I
was gone. I didn't even realize the babies had fledged until the parents
went flying off to the woods with the mealworms I put out for their evening
snack. I ventured a peak into the box and it was empty.
I'm hoping before long they'll start coming to the feeder themselves.
Meanwhile I guess I'll clean up the box in case there is a round two.
We also have a pair of Pileated Woodpeckers nesting just off our driveway.
My husband commented this evening he's surprised I haven't had him shinny up
to see how many eggs they're incubating.
He did go up a ladder with a mirror to check a Phoebe nest. Two eggs at the
time and now a week later mom is sitting patiently. Me too!
Meredith Daggett
Mineral Point, WI