[windows2000] Re: OT Firewalls

  • From: "Tony Lyne" <Tony.Lyne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 13:50:00 +1300

Be careful here. ISA you still have to pay for the base Win2k Server license
and then pay for ISA on top of that. Not to mention the hardware to run it.
This will normally push it into the same league as the more expensive
firewalls. This will depend on your licensing agreement.

If youre looking at ISA its a great firewall, but do some comarisons first for
your budget as the expenses mentioned above can sometimes make it fall outside
of budget as compared to an appliance (Netscreen, PIX etx) or a software
appliance (Borderware).

Youre right about the expandability of a software appliance like (borderware
and the others mentioned) they are in the long term more scalable and are
easier to support when you encounter hardware failures.

Tony