[windows2000] Re: Changing FTP ports

  • From: "Jon Spriggs" <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 08:47:27 +0100

That's another area where using something like WinSCP would help - it can
keep directories in "sync", looking for differences and sending only the
differences. Also SFTP has the ability to compress the data in-transit,
which may help. The SSHd needs to be configured to allow compression and
there's a tick box on the WinSCP client to request it as well.

Jon

On 28/03/07, Sorin Srbu <sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Ray Costanzo <> wrote on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 4:57 PM:

Ah, I just ftp up and down with SmartFTP the mp3-repository I have both at
work and home. It goes fairly quick as it just skips files that are the
same
sizes. I guess you need something smarter than SmartFTP for the
comparison-thingie and your forms and stuff; I only transfer files in
plain
vanilla-fashion.

A few weeks back I lost a hd on the computer I had setup for storing my
mp3-files at work, it was a raid0 array... Luckily I had the backup at
home.
Took me a week and a half to transfer back the music to work over a 1Mbps
cable-connection. Asymmetric connections suck...

> This also answers Sorin's question.
>

> I use Beyond Compare for two things, primarily.  Since it's main purpose
is
> to be a file comparison tool, that is what I often use it as.  We use it
> where I work for code comparisons and generating reports on code
changes.
> We also use it to generate code change reports and for incremental code
> reviews.
>

> Addtionally, I use it for ftp'ing in order to keep some files in synch
> between work and home.  For example, I use Roboform for remembering form
> fields in my browsers.  I have a few hundred "passcard" files at home,
but
> I don't want to have them all here on my work computer.  So, when I need
> one here at work, I open Beyond Compare and load my "Roboform session"
that
> I have setup, and I have a view of my Roboform files here at work and
the
> ones at home and can choose to move, synchronize, compare, etc.
>

> This also comes in handy for MP3s.  I have all of my MP3s here at work,
but
> I'm also still collecting new ones at home.  So, when I need the latest
of
> everything, I open up my Beyond Compare MP3 session and look to see
what's
> new at home and then ftp them in.  Also, as I'm listening to music, if I
> notice a file has incorrect ID3 data, I'll correct it.  But, since the
fles
> reside both at home and at work, I'd have to remember to correct the
file
> at home as well.  But, no, instead I just use Beyond Compare to just
synch
> up the two locations with the latest files, and everything's good.  So,
> basically I use it as a briefcase.  :]
>

> Ray at work

Jon Spriggs LPIC-1 Certified
hackerkey
.com://v4sw6BHUhw5ln3pr5$ck4ma3u7L$w5TUX$m5l7ADFKLRSU$i852Ne5t5BGRSb8AGKMOPTen6a2Xs0Ir5p-
2.88/0g5CMT