[windows2000] Re: Changing FTP ports

  • From: "Jon Spriggs" <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 16:10:36 +0100

OK, that's cool.

The main reason I was wondering about the code thing is that there's an open
source Version Control System available for Windows/Linux et al called
Subversion. This can be exposed over HTTP or HTTPS (with Apache's
MOD_DAV_SVN), over SSH or from a standard file location (for example, on a
shared drive). There's also a web based system called Trac (which also works
on Windows, although it's a bit more of a bind to get working) which is a
way of retrieving data stored in the Repository.

With regards to the MP3 collection, I can see where that comes in handy!
Once again, there's a couple of things you could do to replace it if you
wanted (Microsoft's briefcase used to be quite good at that sort of thing -
I don't know if they still make it available!).

If you are able to use the PASV command in the sequence of commands you
send, then you could use port forwarding with SSH to tunnel your data from
your remote machine to your home machine, thereby protecting your username
and password.

Regards,

Jon

On 27/03/07, Ray Costanzo <ray@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 This also answers Sorin's question.

I use Beyond Compare for two things, primarily.  Since it's main purpose
is to be a file comparison tool, that is what I often use it as.  We use it
where I work for code comparisons and generating reports on code changes.
We also use it to generate code change reports and for incremental code
reviews.

Addtionally, I use it for ftp'ing in order to keep some files in synch
between work and home.  For example, I use Roboform for remembering form
fields in my browsers.  I have a few hundred "passcard" files at home, but I
don't want to have them all here on my work computer.  So, when I need one
here at work, I open Beyond Compare and load my "Roboform session" that I
have setup, and I have a view of my Roboform files here at work and the ones
at home and can choose to move, synchronize, compare, etc.

This also comes in handy for MP3s.  I have all of my MP3s here at work,
but I'm also still collecting new ones at home.  So, when I need the latest
of everything, I open up my Beyond Compare MP3 session and look to see
what's new at home and then ftp them in.  Also, as I'm listening to music,
if I notice a file has incorrect ID3 data, I'll correct it.  But, since the
fles reside both at home and at work, I'd have to remember to correct the
file at home as well.  But, no, instead I just use Beyond Compare to just
synch up the two locations with the latest files, and everything's good.
So, basically I use it as a briefcase.  :]

Ray at work