[webproducers] Re: Web producer career trajectory

  • From: "Rose, Caryn-Amy" <crose@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <webproducers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 12:56:05 -0400

Thanks to everyone for interesting comments and resources in response to
the career trajectory question last week. It sounds like we see some
branching options:

A. become more of an specialized professional, along the lines of IA or
UX design, or even technical writing, which would involve a lateral move
followed by increasing expertise and leadership in that role
B. move vertically toward the executive producer/director management
track.

I have done quite a bit of lateral movement (UI, SEO, development, QA
management, project management, and movement across verticals and
subject matter) which is a good way to broaden the resume and keep work
life intriguing. I am coming up on my ten-year anniversary in the
industry, so I was mostly interested to know how broad a range there is
of promotion/advancement options. I see a management/executive track
option and a perhaps less conservative alternative of taking increasing
leadership in a technical expert/team lead role -- more of a
management-in-the-moment option. I assume that would involve more
aggressively maintaining application development expertise including
knowledge of specific languages and platforms.

It seems like many producers enjoy the "Renaissance person" identity and
that's how we get to a position that requires proficiency across many
disciplines, acting in a translator role. In that light, it seems like
moving to a management/executive position -- one that's active not
administrative -- is the logical next vertical step, since it's most
closely aligned with the disciplines a producer practices. Job
satisfaction there would depend on the organizational culture and what
is expected from managers, and the interpersonal relationships involved.

Please let me know if you have further thoughts on the topic. Thanks
again!

-- Caryn-Amy

This email message is a private communication.  The information transmitted,
including attachments, is intended only for the person or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain confidential, privileged, and/or proprietary
material.  Any review, duplication, retransmission, distribution, or other use
of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or
entities other than the intended recipient is unauthorized by the sender and is
prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please contact the
sender immediately by return email and delete the original message from all
computer systems.  Thank you.

--
Check out the Web Producers Job Board http://jobs.webproducers.org

Messages are archived in our publicly accessible web archive. Trim your posts
and delete personal information if you do not want them in the public web
archive.

e-mail)

Manage your subscripton (digest, vacation mode, unsubscribe) at
http://webproducers.org/join.html