[webproducers] Re: Web producer career trajectory

  • From: B MayBe <bm44bm44@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: webproducers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 08:02:12 -0700 (PDT)

I think it depends on what you want to do and enjoy doing. If you enjoy
managing and organizing,
then going the project manager or management route is more suitable. If you
enjoy doing the
concepting and creation of the project, then doing IA is the way to go. If you
enjoy defining and
specifying the future product concept, business analysis (requirements)/
technical writing is a
way to go. If you enjoy actually creating the sites, then become a developer
and learn Java, Ajax
apps, SQL and Flash.

In my experience PMs and Producers are viewed essentially interchangeably by
different
organizations, Producers being only slightly broader and more hands-on. IA is a
good path but it
doesn't offer any management potential-- unless you want to manage IA-- and it
is quite narrow.
Consider where you want to be in 10 yrs and what you really enjoy about the
producer job and go
from there.

My 2 cents.

--
Check out the Web Producers Job Board http://jobs.webproducers.org

Messages are archived in our publicly accessible web archive. Trim your posts
and delete personal information if you do not want them in the public web
archive.

e-mail)

Manage your subscripton (digest, vacation mode, unsubscribe) at
http://webproducers.org/join.html