[wdmaudiodev] Re: Starting to dev. a virtual Midi Port

  • From: hagen <noise@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 01:18:02 +0200

How much effort did you plan to put into this?
I would say its probably impossible to start MIDI portclass driver
development by reading the WDK documentation. You will need to learn
how to develop and debug a Windows driver. (There is some Literature),
but I would say its pretty trial and error only - if reading thru WDK
and MSDN is the only source of information, which in turn is pretty
cluttered information. Then the messy portclass/adapter, with its
unnecessary COM MACRO obsession, for which some here probably still
think there isn't even a well-tested Microsoft compiler, because its
C++ and C++ is forbidden in the kernel (see the rather religious
discussion on the Windows driver list). But who would expect any
Literature? On top of it the IMiniportDMus bureaucracy, which you will
need for your adventure. How would somebody explain how to set the
MIDI pin names in the .inf to expose to applications? And then all the
kernel bugs and tons of undocumented or wrongly documented behavior
you need to ship around, which we learnt to bypass and circumvent as
ignored by Microsoft. Each BSOD which blocks your test machine for 2
minutes to boot up again and login and setup everything for BSOD again
until something destroyed some "important" info in the registry and
you need to re-install your OS, which will disallow registering your
Windows key after 10? times, so no chance without a 3000$ MSDN
account. Oh, and you will probably need to test on XP, Phista, 7 in 32
and 64bit flavors. Because each of the OS behave differently and have
a different level of bugs, no, those are features. Well, did I mention
driver signing and installation? You will learn that a difx merge
module can't have the WDF coinstaller in the same component, because
it will not get uninstalled, and uninstallation is one of the most
important features when testing your software. Oh, right your
portclass might not need WDF, but even that might not be written
somewhere.

I would go down to the beach an order some beer and make my life fun,
as long as you don't have a good tutor and access to a working
IMiniportDMus example and somebody showing you how to install and
debug this.