[wdmaudiodev] Starting to dev. a virtual Midi Port

  • From: Revan Foly <xaseriii@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 15:53:18 +0200

Hi everyone,

I'm currently working on a program that one the one side communicates with a
hardware midi controller and modifies the midi messages before outputting it on
the other side over a virtual Midi Port.
The first side works perfectly already - I'm currently using RtMidi for that.

However I'm now stuck on creating a virtual Midi port that becomes available
when the application starts and outputs the applications midi data so other
applications can use it as a midi device. My starting point was creating a User
level driver,
based on the WDK 8 samples "DMusUART", "MPU-401 Audio Adapter" and "FMSynth"
(last one turned out to be not that useful). Also I have consulted the few
available internet resources regarding MIDI support as well as the WDK 8
Documentation and
a guide "Introduction to Multimedia Drivers".

This however didn't get me very far, the WDK documentation just lacks detailed
explanation for users new to drivers. I managed to compile the "DMusUART"
sample to a lib but don't know what to do with it and the "MPU-401 Audio
Adapter" can be compiled as well but when i try to start and debug it, it
immediately return a "Access denied" error.

I was told you guys were a good point to ask and I hope you can give me some
directions on where to start / to do / to read etc.

- Xaser