[wdmaudiodev] Re: Starting to dev. a virtual Midi Port

  • From: Revan Foly <xaseriii@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 20:52:42 +0200

Hi,

right, so i used the time to read into the WDK a bit more and it actually
confused me more than get me anywhere. It looks like I need a Kernel Driver to
access Kernel Streaming.

How are you starting and debugging it?

I selected the local debugger and simply started debugging. I didn't see the
point in configuring a testing machine.

kernel drivers, so they have to be installed with an INF file

Again WDK wasn't much help in finding out how to write one / generate one.

My biggest problem atm is that I probably simply don't see in the samples where
the MIDI Port is created and how data is passed to it. Any suggestions on where
to start?

Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 10:32:46 -0700
From: timr@xxxxxxxxx
To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [wdmaudiodev] Re: Starting to dev. a virtual Midi Port

    Revan Foly wrote:

          However I'm now stuck on creating a virtual
            Midi port that becomes available when the application starts
            and outputs the applications midi data so other applications
            can use it as a midi device. My starting point was creating
            a User level driver,

            based on the WDK 8 samples "DMusUART", "MPU-401 Audio
            Adapter" and "FMSynth" (last one turned out to be not that
            useful).

    Those are not user-level drivers.  Those are all kernel drivers.

          This however didn't get me very far, the WDK
            documentation just lacks detailed explanation for users new
            to drivers. I managed to compile the "DMusUART" sample to a
            lib but don't know what to do with it and the "MPU-401 Audio
            Adapter" can be compiled as well but when i try to start and
            debug it, it immediately return a "Access denied" error.

    MIDI has always been a somewhat under-documented area in the WDK.

    How are you starting and debugging it?  I would have guessed that
    FMSynth was the right place to start, but both FMSynth and MPU401
    are kernel drivers, so they have to be installed with an INF file
    (which I see is not included in the samples) and started with
    something like devcon.