[wdmaudiodev] Re: Starting to dev. a virtual Midi Port

  • From: Tim Roberts <timr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 10:32:46 -0700

Revan Foly wrote:

> However I'm now stuck on creating a virtual Midi port that becomes
> available when the application starts and outputs the applications
> midi data so other applications can use it as a midi device. My
> starting point was creating a User level driver,
> based on the WDK 8 samples "DMusUART", "MPU-401 Audio Adapter" and
> "FMSynth" (last one turned out to be not that useful).

Those are not user-level drivers.  Those are all kernel drivers.

> This however didn't get me very far, the WDK documentation just lacks
> detailed explanation for users new to drivers. I managed to compile
> the "DMusUART" sample to a lib but don't know what to do with it and
> the "MPU-401 Audio Adapter" can be compiled as well but when i try to
> start and debug it, it immediately return a "Access denied" error.

MIDI has always been a somewhat under-documented area in the WDK.

How are you starting and debugging it?  I would have guessed that
FMSynth was the right place to start, but both FMSynth and MPU401 are
kernel drivers, so they have to be installed with an INF file (which I
see is not included in the samples) and started with something like devcon.