[wdmaudiodev] Re: Audio Driver Code Signing for WIN10 ?

  • From: Tim Roberts <timr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2015 12:38:24 -0700

Mike Kemp wrote:

I am no expert, but I did read that signing rules are different between

(a) Windows 10 installed as a field update to WIndows 7 or 8, and
(b) A new installation of Windows 10.

Regrettably I can't remember in which of the many messages on the ntdev
WIndows 10 signing thread this was mentioned.

Hmm. I don't remember reading that, and I'm not sure I believe it. I
just went through all 211 messages in that thread (which may be one of
the most amazingly useful technical threads the web has ever seen), and
I don't see this upgrade exception mentioned.

You're talking about a very specific set of circumstances here. It
would mean that a driver signed with a non-EV certificate that was
issued after August 1 would load on an upgrade, but not on a new
install. I'm dubious.

Could this affect whether signing with the pre RTM certificates will work on
new installations?

THAT one I can answer. Drivers signed with pre-RTM certificates work
fine on a new install. The question here is the treatment of post-RTM
certificates. If your hypothesis is true, then such a driver should
work on an upgrade but not on a new install.