[wdmaudiodev] Re: Audio Driver Code Signing for WIN10 ?

  • From: Tim Roberts <timr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2015 11:28:12 -0700

Tom Eckert wrote:

It's still working for us. But, while we're on the subject, can
someone clarify this:

/What about existing drivers? Do I need to re-sign these drivers
to get them to work with Windows 10?/
//No, existing drivers do not need to be re-signed. To ensure
backwards compatibility, drivers which are properly signed by
a valid cross-signing certificate

<https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff548231%28v=vs.85%29.aspx>
that
was issued before the release of Windows 10 will continue to pass
signing checks on Windows 10.

Does this mean that drivers which are properly signed by a valid
cross-signing certificate that was issued before the release of
Windows 10 *but which are built and signed after the release date,
grace period, whatever* will work or not? So, not existing drivers,
but new drivers signed with a certificate that satisfies the above
condition.

Yes. As long as your certificate was issued prior to the RTM date
(August 1, I think), the existing signing methods will continue to work
on Windows 10 without change. Once your SHA1 certificate expires, then
you're screwed. You have to get an EV SHA2 certificate and start using
the attestation process.