(VICT) Re: Need you guys opinion

  • From: "Diane & Raven" <dlshotwell2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 09:52:23 -0400

Hi Sandy,
Please know I was not questioning your experience or ability.

I have been training for 30+ years and often consult or seek suggestions and
guidance from others that may have more experience with certain behaviors or
just for an impartial opinion.  I especially do this when working with an
assistance dog that I am training for my own use.  I want to be sure my bond
and attachment is not clouding my judgment or skewing my view of a situation.

It sounds like you are still very much in the honeymoon (smile) period of the
relation if you have only had this dog for a week and 3 days.  There is much
settling in the dog will still do for a while. Every thing is new and
unfamiliar and may account for a stress issue like the guarding you describe if
it is related to past experience in kennel or shelter situation.

I think you will see many changes over the next few weeks and as the dog
settles in to routine and becomes familiar with the other dogs, the environment
and build more of a bond and trust... and the needed security in the situation.
 Hopefully one of the things you see is less stress and more comfortable
confidence.

I wish you luck... one of the most heart breaking things about teaching for
assistance dogs is washing out a dog with such great potentenial.  I will keep
you in our thoughts and I look forward to following the progress the two of you
make.

Best Wishes & Wags,
Diane & Raven
APDT#72225
http://AssistanceDogJournal.net
"My Assistance Dog is not my whole life, but she makes my life
whole"~D.L.Shotwell