(VICT) Re: Need you guys opinion

  • From: Infinitepaws@xxxxxxx
  • To: vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 14:12:39 EDT

In a message dated 5/27/2008 11:25:54 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
bcpaws4me@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Let me  know if you'd like more details of the thoughts on the food guarding
issue.

Hmm. I just did the opposite this morning.. grin. When he snarked at  one of
the other dogs coming too close,I snatched up his bowl and put it out of
reach, I put him in the bathroom for a time out for about 5 minutes. Since  he
does not guard when I play the shark feeding game with everyone, I thought
that
I would try handing out the food in handfuls.. I am feeding kibble right  now
because I cant find anyone to deliver my raw. That way , food comes when the
other dogs are around and are up there close and personal. .a little classical
 conditioning.. No snarking, no growling, even when he vacuuming around and
under the other dogs.. I also ocassionally threw a handful of food into the
bowl on the floor.. I wonder if it is the bowl that is triggering this? My
resident dogs are not doing the initiating as they are aware of the fact that
all of the food and resources are MINE. I wouldn't have tried this except with
my pack and because the snarking is not escalating. If I let them free feed,
there is also not an issue except right as I put a new bag in. One of my Danes
 has trouble keeping weight on , so I had been free feeding.. But Alex is
getting  overweight so I wanted to switch back to portion feeding. for those
who
haven't  heard about my shark feeding game, I line up the dogs and hand out
spoons of  canned food or yoghurt or ice cream in the summer. It allows me to
give  supplements and meds to dogs that need them while reinforcing sits and
name  recognition.. plus it is kind of fun.. Each dog has their own shark
name..
grin..gotta have some people fun with it too..like you said hopefully he will
 mellow out.. He does let me pick up and take food from him with no fuss.
..
Sandy Foushee
Infinite Paws-Abilities Training and Service  Dogs
Teamed with Alexandra Guide/Service Dog
Colorado Service/Assistance  Dog Club - Trainer.-
_http://journals.aol.com/infinitepaws/zairs-journey/_
(http://journals.aol.com/infinitepaws/zairs-journey/)

Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.