(VICT) Re: Need you guys opinion

  • From: "Karyn and Thane" <bcpaws4me@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Vi-clicker" <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 10:25:27 -0700

Sandy personally I would begin by separating him fro mall the other dogs
while he eats even if it means he eats in the bathroom. Are you feeding raw?
Interestingly Met was a bit guardy with me when I first began raw and he
never had been before so it could be the different yummy food triggering it
as well.
He probably has had to scrap for what he gets. Many dogs in time settle out,
but as you know some do not.
Thane was such a shock when I got him. Man you best not touch the bowl while
he inhaled. Now you would never know. Though this was just with me (a human)
the change has been so awesome. I think with slow desensitizing to the fact
that the other dogs are not going to make him fight for his food, you may be
surprised.
I would begin with him totally separated and I would do this for a good
length of time until he is really confident, then slowly expose him to maybe
one other dog but at enough distance and protection (perhaps a baby gate) to
make him still feel secure. Its a process though and you probably won't have
an answer to whether or not Zair is just so used to scrapping for food or if
its going to be a permanent part of who he is. In other ways he sounds like
an awesome dog, but as you know sometimes it can take up to a month or more
before they feel comfortable t olet it all hang out Smile
Thane had a lot of traffic socialization to do coming from the country. His
has diminished to the point where he just makes me aware for crossings. This
could happen with Zair as well the more he is exposed to it.
I honestly prefer a dog that is aware of sound to one that just completely
goes with the flow. That bit of focus issue tells me a lot about my
environment.
Let me know if you'd like more details of the thoughts on the food guarding
issue.

Karyn and Thane