(VICT) Re: Hot Spots

  • From: "Jo Clayson" <joclayson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 09:30:08 -0400

Valerie,

Sorry to take so long to reply to this. Hectic couple of days plus I'm
boarding two extra dogs.

Baron's skin was in very bad condition when he came to me. Deep indentation
into the skin, in a few places it seemed to be even through the skin,
crusty, dried and fresh pus matted in fur, very red skin, foul smelling,
etc. Within a month there were no more open sores; the new skin was a
healthy pink, and within 6 weeks fur was starting to grow back in some
places. Some places responded much more quickly than this however.

I used Willard Water to make an herbal tea that I used to wash the areas,
and to keep them moist.  After I could get the areas softened enough I used
scissors to cut off the matted hair and whatever was attached to it. It took
a 3-4 days for me to even get the areas really clean. I was hesitant to do
it all at once because of the huge dried mats of gunk.

Vinegar rinse : about 1 1/2 cups water and 1/2 cup cider vinegar. If the
spots are on the feet or lower legs, I put it in tall container (I use a
quart yogurt container) Dip each paw in for a few moments.  Otherwise I
drizzle it on affected spots.  Helps restore the correct pH to the skin.
Acts as mild disinfectant.  Good for cleaning the gunk from the hair near
the sore.

Tea rinse; Make tea like you drink, either  black or green. Tea contains
tannic acid which helps to dry off oozey weeping sores, Dip each paw or
drizzle it on.  It also contains a number of other healing properties.

Herbal Teas: can use these as a rinse, or get your dog to drink them. (I put
some in their drinking water. It's very dilute, but figure they get some)
I start with Willard Water and bring to a boil, then add the herbs and
cover. I let it steep until it is just slightly warm, or cool.  I strain it
before using. Extra can be kept in the refrigerator for a few days.  To a
quart of water I'd add a couple tablespoons each of dried lavender, comfrey,
oregano, Echinacea, and about a teaspoon of goldenseal.  If you don't have
all the herbs listed here, you can use whatever combinations you have.  I
apply this frequently. I used a small squeeze bottle, and anytime the dog
would start to lick or scratch an area, I'd apply more.

Colloidal Silver: a few drops of this on any sore spot  The silver is
anti-bacteria, anti-fungal, anti-all the bad guys. I sometimes add the
colloidal silver to the herbal tea just before applying it.

Ginger Compresses:  grate fresh ginger, add to water, cover & bring almost
to boil, and continue to heat for at least 20 minutes. Use hot, but don't
burn the skin.  Wet & wring cloth and put it on the sore area.  Renew to
keep the cloth hot. 15-20 minutes a couple times a day will help draw out
infection, stimulate blood flow to the area and assist in healing.

Comfrey Root powder: sprinkle a small amount of the powder on any sore spot.
It really promotes healing and new skin growth quickly. If there is a lot of
infection, I get that under control before I use the comfrey. Comfrey will
heal things over so quickly that infection can't continue to drain
externally.

Remember that most hot spots are external symptoms of internal imbalances.
I would be sure the dog is on a good diet, preferably raw, and do whatever I
could to enhance and support the immune system and reduce stress. Massage is
very good for that. I'd also check for allergies, either in diet or in the
environment.

If any of this isn't clear, or you have additional questions, let me know.
Do you use herbs at home? Do you have a local source?

Jo