[uae] Re: Print from EUAE under Mac OS X

  • From: Ernest Unrau <ejunrau@xxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 08:49:07 -0600

On 07-Jan-2010 Andrew 'Truck' Holland wrote:

> On Do, 07 Jan 2010, Ernest Unrau wrote:
>
>> 07-Jan-2010
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Re: Print from EUAE under Mac OS X
>>
>> What I haven't been able to solve, though, is how to print within
>> the amiga emulation to a printer connected directly to the mac.
>> It would appear that's not possible to do, but perhaps I'm wrong
>> on that. I haven't found a way to access usb devices from EUAE.
>> - My HP 842 printer is connected via usb and found at
>>  usb://HEWLETT-PACKARD/DESKJET%20840C?serial=MX07A1V0DMLB
>> - My Xerox is found at url: lpd://192.168.2.2/lpt1
>
> Hmm, so the printer is, or it is not, running under CUPS?
> (Apple now is the primary author of CUPS, so it would seem natural to me to
> run the printer thru CUPS via Apple's print stuff, rather than thru a Xerox
> line printer daemon...  this would also make this work on Linux, or any other
> Unix that runs CUPS (common Unix Printer ...something (:  ) )

Perhaps I need to clarify this: my printer has only a parallel port interface
and
doesn't have any built-in networking capability, nor am I sending data via a
Xerox line printer daemon.

I obtained a StarTech.com ethernet-to-parallel adapter/printer-server which
then provides an IP address and line printer daemon so that I can send data to
that printer via ethernet. The print server has its own web page accessible
via the local network; the web page allows one to configure the print server.

Thanks to that print server I can now print to that parallel-port-only printer
from the iMac itself, AND from within EUAE amiga emulation.

Of course you can likely print to any printer that has built-in networking
capability and will put up an IP address on the local network. In that case
you do not need a print server/adapter such as I purchased. But because I
already had the printer it was a good solution for me to get one. Plus it
gives me the potential to use some other parallel devices via the adapter.

But to print from within EUAE on mac to any other printer from a computer
such as the iMac you still require some printer/port interface such as Guido
Mersmann's netprinter.device and you still need a dosdriver device such
as my NPAR dosdriver to print from Pagestream using Pagestream's
own print drivers, with which you need to be able to send the printer
output directly to the device or printer port.

THAT is what I don't see any other way to accomplish within UAE.
Nor is there an obvious way to print with the OS3.9 printer drivers: so
far as I can tell there is no way to intercept the printer output and
redirect it to the printer on the mac's ports.

> If it is, then you should be able to just throw the output to a file (a la
> "E-uae sends printer (or serial) output to a file) and shovel that off to
> CUPS.  I _think_ I did it that way when I needed to dump output from the
> Amiga off to a PDF a bit ago.
>
> I'll test when I'm at home, and have installed your package.

Regards,

Ernest Unrau
Morden, Manitoba
CANADA