[uae] Print from EUAE under Mac OS X

  • From: Ernest Unrau <ejunrau@xxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 08:24:25 -0600

Greetings & belated wishes for a happy new year!

I am posting this for those who are interested in printing to a
networked printer with IP address using either a classic Amiga
with OS3.9 and Genesis, or for amiga emulation under EUAE
(in my case on an iMac (intel) with Snow Leopard 10.6.2). Under
EUAE it's the only way I could solve the problem of printing
since the emulator has no direct access to mac I/O hardware
except for the CD/DVD drive and fairly good functionality
via ethernet.

I created this dosdriver to solve the problem of how to use
Guido Mersman's netprinter.device for printing to a networked
printer with IP address when printing from Pagestream's own
printer drivers.

It works with a classic amiga, although I've only tested it with
port-handler 41.6 (13/09/2000) © 1998-2000 by Stephan Rupprecht.
It probably will work with the OS3.9 port-handler, but then you
might have to change the line,

 EHandler     = L:port-handler
    instead of,
 Handler     = L:port-handler

but I haven't verified that. Stephan's port-handler will only work
with "EHandler=", not just "Handler=". I'm not even sure now
why I ended up with Stephan's port-handler, but I did :-)

Special thanks to Guido for writing the netprinter.device to
make networking printing a breeze.

Here's the dosdriver for those who can't wait to read the whole
file. Below also is the complete readme file as submitted to Aminet.
See http://aminet.net/comm/tcp/Netprinter_NPAR.lha
See http://aminet.net/comm/tcp/NetPrinter.lha for version 1.14 by Guido Mersmann

-Ernest

/* mountfile for printer direct data throughput to netprinter.device */
/* instead of parallel port. Useful in Pagestream for "Send to NPAR:" */
/* $VER: NPAR: 1.1 (12.30.2009) by Ernest Unrau, Dec. 20, 2009. */

EHandler     = L:port-handler
Stacksize    = 10240
Priority     = 5
Device       = netprinter.device
Unit         = 0
Baud         = 0 /* set this to ZERO for parallel.devices */

#

**********************************
***Readme file from Aminet *****
**********************************

Greetings,

I created this little dosdriver to solve the problem of how to use Guido
Mersman's netprinter.device for printing to a networked printer with IP
address when printing from Pagestream's own printer drivers.

Requires:
* netprinter.device ver. 1.14 by Guido Mersman, found at
 http://aminet.net/comm/tcp/NetPrinter.lha
* A real Amiga with ethernet hardware, or emulator such as EUAE.
* A TCP/IP stack, such as Genesis.
* Recommended: port-handler 41.6 (13/09/2000)
 © 1998-2000 by Stephan Rupprecht

- Tested with StarTech.com ethernet-to-parallel port print server.
- Tested with port-handler 41.6 (13/09/2000) © 1998-2000 by Stephan Rupprecht.
 Note that I have NOT (yet) tested this with the OS3.9 distribution/update of
 Port-Handler 44.1 (29/08/1999).
- Tested with EUAE (intel version) running OS 3.9 on an iMac with Mac OS
 10.6.2 (Snow Leopard).
- Tested with a classic Amiga 3000/'030 with xSurf-3cc
 networking card, and OS3.9 with Genesis.

NPAR: is especially useful to enable printing with PageStream4 (ver.
4.1.5.6 30/01/2003) running in EUAE on the mac; Mac EUAE doesn't otherwise
have any printer connectivity except through a networked printer with IP
address. Believe me that printing is fast when printing to a StarTech.com
ethernet/parallel port print server!

But it is also useful to accomplish the same thing on a real Amiga. The
classic Amiga requires Genesis or some other TCP/IP client to be running
in order to find bsdsocket.library, and the TCP/IP client must online in
order to find network print server.

Simply mount NPAR: (simplest method is to copy it to your DEVS:DosDrivers
directory so it is mounted at startup), then in Pagestream printer setup
select "Send to Device" and enter the text "NPAR:" (without the quotes).

To use netprinter.device to print using Pagestream's own printer drivers,
go to the menu item "File/Print Setup..." and in the requester panel that
appears select "Send to" and set to "Device", then enter "NPAR:" in the
text gadget.

NPAR: is also useful for other uses where one one would normally use the
Amiga PAR: device. For example the shell command "copy printer.data to
PAR:" can be changed to "copy printer.data to NPAR:". Yet another example
of usage is to send ghostscript printer output to the printer via NPAR:
instead of PAR: (although I would recommend first directing ghostscript
output to a file, and then copying that printer data to NPAR: using the
shell command described).

A ready-made dosdriver for NPAR: is found in the dosdrivers drawer in this
archive, but here is the dosdriver content:

***START DOSDRIVER***

/* mountfile for printer direct data throughput to netprinter.device  */
/* instead of parallel port. Useful in Pagestream for "Send to NPAR:" */
/* $VER: NPAR: 1.1 (12.30.2009) by Ernest Unrau, Dec. 20, 2009.       */
/* Designed for use with port-handler 41.6 by Stephan Rupprecht       */

EHandler     = L:port-handler
Stacksize    = 10240
Priority     = 5
Device       = netprinter.device
Unit         = 0
Baud         = 0 /* set this to ZERO for parallel.devices */

#

***END DOSDRIVER***

Additional Notes:
----------------

Please take note of the dosdriver line, "EHandler = L:port-handler".
That difference has something to do with Stephan Rupprecht's port-handler
replacement for the OS3.9 version 44.1 of port-handler.

With Rupprecht's port-handler it must be "EHandler..." and not just
"Handler = L:port-handler", although the latter may work with the OS3.9
and prior distributions of port-handler. Stephan describes but does not
explain this in his documentation:

   When port-handler connects to a non-serial device (ie parallel or
   printer), the mountlist entry must look like this:

       PAR1:   EHandler  = L:Port-Handler
           Priority  = 5
           StackSize = 1024
           GlobVec   = 1
           Device    = <insert device name here>
           Unit      = <insert unit number here>
           Flags     = 0
           Baud      = 0 ; IMPORTANT: Must be zero!
       #

Also from Stephan's port-handler documentation:

"KNOWN PROBLEMS
Don't try to mount an EHandler twice, this will crash Mount (it's not
a bug of port-handler)."

Ernest Unrau
Morden, Manitoba
CANADA