[uae] Re: Print from EUAE under Mac OS X

  • From: Daniel Meis <dmeis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 12:20:52 -0600

I have a solution for printing from FinalWriter using E-UAE on OS X. It's a FW macro (ARexx script) add-on for the homebrew Lpr/Lpd print server package I wrote in C for our fleet of Amigas a number of years ago. It's kind of lame, because a lot of things are hard-coded and it depends on a couple of other ARexx scripts which muck through the current "prefs" preset files to extract settings (it also needs the TCP: handler). But it does work on E-UAE, and will print straight to networked printers (going through CUPS is not necessary).

Unfortunately, the Lpr client won't work on OS X right now -- it expects to dump a file into the spool directory, then signal in.lpd on localhost:515 to rescan the queue so the file gets printed. Since E-UAE doesn't run with elevated permissions, the whole machinery of having inetd listen and fork in.lpd doesn't work because I can't access privileged ports < 1024. To fix it, the client-side code from in.lpd needs to be added to Lpr so it can run standalone, and I haven't found time yet to do that.

Lpr is also lame as it still depends on the same ARexx scripts to read prefs, and also depends on CMD to print text files. Those are quick & dirty hacks that I've always meant to fix properly.

If these seem interesting and/or useful to anyone, I could dig into them.

--Dan

On Jan 8, 2010, at 09:11, J. Alexander Jacocks wrote:

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 9:54 AM, Ernest Unrau <ejunrau@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Jan 7 2010 Andrew 'Truck' Holland wrote:

On Do, 07 Jan 2010, Ernest Unrau wrote:
<snip>
Sorry, no idea what you are talking about. I don't know what "CUPS" is.
<snip>
CUPS is the "Common Unix Printing System", a cross-platform printing
system, implemented on quite a few UNIX-like systems.
<snip>