[uae] Re: Print from EUAE under Mac OS X

  • From: Ernest Unrau <ejunrau@xxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 08:54:13 -0600

On Jan 7 2010 Andrew 'Truck' Holland wrote:

> On Do, 07 Jan 2010, Ernest Unrau wrote:
>
>> 07-Jan-2010
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Re: Print from EUAE under Mac OS X
>>
>> What I haven't been able to solve, though, is how to print within
>> the amiga emulation to a printer connected directly to the mac.
>> It would appear that's not possible to do, but perhaps I'm wrong
>> on that. I haven't found a way to access usb devices from EUAE.
>> - My HP 842 printer is connected via usb and found at
>>  usb://HEWLETT-PACKARD/DESKJET%20840C?serial=MX07A1V0DMLB
>> - My Xerox is found at url: lpd://192.168.2.2/lpt1
>
> Hmm, so the printer is, or it is not, running under CUPS?
> (Apple now is the primary author of CUPS, so it would seem natural to me to
> run the printer thru CUPS via Apple's print stuff, rather than thru a Xerox
> line printer daemon...  this would also make this work on Linux, or any other
> Unix that runs CUPS (common Unix Printer ...something (:  ) )

Sorry, no idea what you are talking about. I don't know what "CUPS" is.
(And it's not like Apple has ever given "insider" info to the average user
anyway, certainly not like we are able to achieve with Amiga.)

I'm sure there's ways of doing it, but I sure don't know how to do it.
I've only been working with OS X since Jan 2009 when we purchased
our iMac (and a macbook for our daughter in Dec '08). Prior to that
I did a lot of work with mac (largely through newspaper employment)
up to about MacOS 8. I do have a Mac Powerbook 170 with '030 cpu
an MacOS 7.6, but talk about agonizingly slow! Perhaps I will switch
it back to Mac OS 7.1, which is MUCH faster and was probably the most
stable and efficient MacOS up 'til about version 8 or more.

Moreover, with MacOS X being hosted on Unix (what is it, Darwin?)
that's a whole proverbial horse of a different color. I have not dabbled
with the underlying unix, beyond a cursory glance at the command
shell - and it sure stinks compared to Amiga shell. I'm sure it's powerful,
but it is definitely not user friendly.

To get to the point, if you can explain how to do what you are
describing (send data directly to the printer) I will be grateful, as
I'm sure will many others.

Another thing I really wish it were possible to do is to directly access
Amiga formatted drives from EUAE. Such as, it would sure be nice
to access my external IDE/USB drive, which is formatted/partitioned
SFS. That is, it's an external IDE drive housed in a case with its own
power supply and connects to the classic amiga via usb (I have a subway
card in my A3000 desktop, but that's quite slow - a data rate of only
about 350 to 400 kilobytes per second).

Or, directly access Amiga formatted flash drives. It's a real contortionist
trick to get one's amiga data intact onto the mac. I achieved it by making
large CD ISO images with MakeCD, then copying those onto usb flash
drives and moving those onto the mac. The mac is able to open and read
the MakeCD ISO images, but the amiga is not able to write such large
images to any DVD media. I thought I might be able to treat a DVD like
a king-sized CD, but no go!

> If it is, then you should be able to just throw the output to a file (a la
> "E-uae sends printer (or serial) output to a file) and shovel that off to
> CUPS.  I _think_ I did it that way when I needed to dump output from the
> Amiga off to a PDF a bit ago.

As I mentioned, no idea what you are talking about. Nor can I see why
you would need to send Amiga output to a pdf that way. But I guess
that depends on from which program you needed to capture the output.
Because if you are using Pagestream you can just send the output to a file,
then back in the Mac interface drag/drop that file onto Preview and it
will distill the postscript output into a pdf file.

Hmm, now that you mention it, IIRC I was unable to use the AmigaOS
printtofile.device, because I think it has to first access either PRT: or PAR:
before it will redirect and of course PAR: doesn't work from EUAE. I'm
not even sure if CMD will work, for the same reason, but I haven't tried
it.

From the Mac, of course (at least in 10.5 and up) when printing you can
also send output to either a pdf or postscript file, so I suspect you don't
need to "jump through the hoops" you described? What Mac OS version
are you using?

> I'll test when I'm at home, and have installed your package.

I'll be interested to hear what you come up with. Also in layman's
terms what is "CUPS".

Ernest Unrau
Morden, Manitoba
CANADA