[triadtechtalk] Re: Which Reg Cleaner

  • From: ChasM49@xxxxxxx
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 10:16:08 EST

In a message dated 12/20/2003 6:48:16 AM Central Standard Time,
bint@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
10 - 12 that are actually reg entries
that matter.

this is very true..... also what shows as bad registry enteries are *.gid
files that are calls for help files that you have used on your prgrams,and such
as nero records of CD s you burned,and others such as folders or other files
you may have downloaded to a drive and later moved to another area....they all
may show as belonging to a program,but arent needed by that program after you
are done with the task you completed......
with vcoms fixit suite,its registry cleaner marks them by color code....
un-needed entries are green and questionable ones are yellow with advice to
check... the ones such as moved files are red with advice to delete after
insuring
that the entry is not needed by checking where the file is.
  with registry mechanic repairs are made automaticly if you want or manually
allowing you to review the entries....and so long as you use the uninstall in
control panel or an uninstaller you should be ok in the recommended entries
to remove using the other reg cleaners..... but it is very true that each one
seems to work in specific areas and finds entries to remove..... so far,I have
not found anyone cleaner that finds them all.....
   doing a manual edit of the registry I have found loads of entries that
just are not found by any reg cleaner whatsoever ... and that also goes for the
dware and spy hunter programs also..... none of them have found it all.....
one main reason is a lot of those type nasties set their file entries as being
archived and all run type entries do get removed,but the actuall file itsleff
is still in the system folders...... you would be suprised as to what you will
find if you do a diligent search of entries and check properties of those
files....and xp is actaully worse for keeping entries than the older flavors of
windows.....
and if you are a big time surfer... loads of those sorts of entries get stuck
in there.....
     I have been doing a visual check of my system files periodically and
find them all the time..... and have learned to recognize them by thier icons
as
a clue to being a suspect file.... and then after deleting the file using a
regcleaner again deletes the entries that were hidden by them all over the
registry..... its a never ending war to rid the nuiscance files such as
those.....
one main reason is the constant name changes they use to keep dumping on the
users......
           leastwise... thats been my experience of late......  chuck..in ok