[triadtechtalk] a heads up

  • From: ChasM49@xxxxxxx
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 10:27:28 EST

other day got an email in from another tech site talking about the MSIE
spoofer hit..... and there was a open source site with a fix for it..... stay
away
from that site and all it has to say... the open source site has been hit big
time and if you download and install the supposed fix you will find yourself
in a monster hell of a mess..... pure and absolute popup hell isnt the word for
it......the "fix" contains a home page grabber that is one endless loop of
popups... even after you disconect from the web or your modem...... I
downloaded
and installed the fix and had to go to safe mode to kill and remove it.....
took near an hour of removing nearly 50 entries it made..... and while in safe
mode my av killed 4 trojan entries all of them being exploits that set up the
looping .....but when in normal mode,my panda didnt see anything.... and the
recommendation came from a pcmag story about the ie spoofer... so a word to the
wise... be very cautious unless the fix is on Microsofts update and not the
open source one.....but MS has none to date.....
                            chuck..in ok