[triadtechtalk] Re: Security!

  • From: "cabehogan" <cabehogan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 15:31:10 -0500

> <snip>

> > And of course I agree and if I were in
business
> > which would require many contracts daily, I
would
> > most certainly use such an envelope, but I
seldom
> > even make a purchase on the web and when I do,
it
> > is such a small amount that it's not worth
> > worrying over and of course I am assuming that
> > what I do have encrypts my credit card number
so
> > that it is safe from other using it and that
is
> > sufficient for my needs IMHO!

> Well, if you send a credit card number by email,
then whomever views it can
> charge whatever they want to it. The small
amount is irrelevant, once they
> have the number. This is why you need the
security of a secure web page for
> your credit card transactions.

Heaven forbid that I would EVER do that!  Which is
what I was referring to above, just didn't myself
clear!

> As for digital signatures, I wish they were used
heavily, but they aren't,
> yet. They can be, in theory, but not in practice
yet, legal signatures in
> the US. The reason I wish they were used heavily
is that, as things are now,
> if I have your credit card number, I can use it
online at will, pretending
> to be you. Even if you sent the number in
securely, you have to trust the
> merchant and the people he works for. With
digital signatures, even if the
> company you bought an item from wanted to rob
you, they couldn't. You could
> even use them to make electronic withdrawals
from a bank account, and if the
> bank itself tried to rob you, you could prove
you didn't make the
> withdrawals because the bank can't fake your
digital signature.

Correct on the trusting the merchant/site, which
is why I always keep a printed copy of the
transaction, especially on the merchant/site that
I have not dealt with before and pretty well know
that I can trust them!  Since I never make
electronic withdrawals, they would be hard put to
prove that it was me that withdrew whatever amount
they stole since it would be a first, the court
would decide in my favor if it was an amount worth
going to court over!

> > > Of course, it is a really really _strong_
> > envelope....

> > I would believe so!

> > > If anyone wants to use secure email using
the
> > OpenPGP standard, but doesn't
> > > want to use PGP yet, you can use
> > www.hushmail.com. I haven't had a chance to
> > > check them out thoroughly yet, but they use
> > OpenPGP, which is supposed to be
> > > able to interact with any other OpenPGP
program,
> > including PGP itself.
> > > Phillip Zimmerman, the creator of the
original
> > PGP, went to work with Hush
> > > to add OpenPGP when he left the company that
now
> > owns PGP. He apparently
> > > didn't like the fact that the current owners
> > wouldn't give out the source
> > > code of PGP, and thus people around the
world
> > cannot analyze the code for
> > > flaws and backdoors, one of PGP's strengths.

> > Yes, that would be a viable alternative for
those
> > who feel that their circumstances warrant it!

> > .......clarence.......

> Or who just want to make the web a more secure
place.

I would gladly vote for that even if I didn't use
it!

> Have you noticed that the fastest rising crime
in the US is identity theft?
> With digital signatures and routine encryption,
we could virtually wipe it
> out tomorrow, online. A very large number of the
stories you hear in the
> press today about privacy invasions by
individuals, governments, and
> companies large and small, as well as many
electronic crimes, could be
> eliminated if these things were only routine.

Yes, it is a popular thing with thieves who are
too lazy to work and earn their own way, sadly!
True, but as you know, most folks use the excuse
of "That will never happen to me!", and you
couldn't move them with a truck load of dynamite
till it happens to them!  Which is definitely not
my motto, but I still feel that I am such small
potatoes that the thief that is after real money
would never stoop to trying to pick up my penny as
it would be beneath his diginty!  ; )

> Sorry if I am getting into a rant. I guess it is
a good thing this is
> Off-topic Friday.

HeeHee, SFTWOTMBF!  ; )

.......clarence.......