[triadtechtalk] Re: Security!

  • From: "cabehogan" <cabehogan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 13:58:26 -0500

> <snip>

> > Well, since I say what I mean and mean what I
say,
> > I could care less who sees it!   ; )

> Then why use envelopes?:)

I don't, I use postcards, their cheaper!  ; )

> Seriously, PGP serves two basic purposes. It is
an envelope for email, and a
> signature for email. Thus, it verifies your
identity and maintains your
> privacy. As things stand today, standard email
is not only public, but
> whenever a merchant accepts a credit card over
the Internet, they are taking
> a credit card without seeing the purchaser and
without a signature. PGP
> supplies both, as well as a simple guarantee
that not only did I send a
> message (a signature), but that nobody has
changed a single letter in the
> message since I saw it. These signatures are
very useful for contracts, as a
> result.

And of course I agree and if I were in business
which would require many contracts daily, I would
most certainly use such an envelope, but I seldom
even make a purchase on the web and when I do, it
is such a small amount that it's not worth
worrying over and of course I am assuming that
what I do have encrypts my credit card number so
that it is safe from other using it and that is
sufficient for my needs IMHO!

> Of course, it is a really really _strong_
envelope....

I would believe so!

> If anyone wants to use secure email using the
OpenPGP standard, but doesn't
www.hushmail.com. I haven't had a chance to
> check them out thoroughly yet, but they use
OpenPGP, which is supposed to be
> able to interact with any other OpenPGP program,
including PGP itself.
> Phillip Zimmerman, the creator of the original
PGP, went to work with Hush
> to add OpenPGP when he left the company that now
owns PGP. He apparently
> didn't like the fact that the current owners
wouldn't give out the source
> code of PGP, and thus people around the world
cannot analyze the code for
> flaws and backdoors, one of PGP's strengths.

Yes, that would be a viable alternative for those
who feel that their circumstances warrant it!

.......clarence.......