[triadtechtalk] Re: Security!

  • From: RPRKOCVGGPED@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 09:21:42 -0700

From: cabehogan

> --from "cabehogan" <cabehogan@xxxxxxxxxxx>--
> --reply triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>

> ***  Triad Tech Talk
> (www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/webpage?webpage_id=triadtechtalk) ***
>

> For those of you that are security conscious, I
> just ran across this program that you may want to
> have a look at and is reported to be better than
> Cypherus which is not free:
>
> http://home.cnet.com/software/0-806183-8-4792641-2
> .html?tag=st.sw.806183-8-4792641-1.arrow.806183-8-
> 4792641-2
>
> Enjoy!
>
> .......clarence.......

Clarence,

PGP is the standard for private encryption and digital signatures, and has
been for years. It has been ever since the originator of the original, Phil
Zimmerman, was harassed by the FBI and the Justice Department over the
export of PGP by posting to the Internet (which was illegal), even though it
was a known fact that he did _not_ post it, and who did. (The man who did
post it was not threatened with legal action; Phil Zimmerman lost his job
and was under investigation by the Justice Department for years because the
government didn't want private individuals to have encryption, but legally
they couldn't touch him for that.)

I've never heard of Cypherus, but PGP is very well known. I'd recommend it
for the purposes for which it is designed over almost anything else.

For people who are interested in PGP, and want to make certain they have the
latest freeware versions, I recommend www.pgpi.org. This is the home page of
PGP International, who maintained PGP for people outside the US during the
years when PGP was legally considered a munition, and thus could not be
exported legally. It is a very good place to start, especially since the
present owners of PGP make it difficult to find the freeware version on
their site. They don't dare tick off the fans of PGP by eliminating the
freeware version, but they'd much rather everyone paid for it.

Anyone who wants to know how to use PGP, or wants to know the basics of
public key encryption and digital signatures, drop me a line. It is a
fascinating subject, and can extend into anonymous yet secure Internet
voting, anonymous electronic cash, and all kinds of fascinating subjects.

David Nasset, Sr.