[triadtechtalk] Re: Security!

  • From: RPRKOCVGGPED@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 11:26:38 -0700

From: cabehogan

> --from "cabehogan" <cabehogan@xxxxxxxxxxx>--
> --reply triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>

> ***  Triad Tech Talk
> (www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/webpage?webpage_id=triadtechtalk) ***

<snip>

> Well, since I say what I mean and mean what I say,
> I could care less who sees it!   ; )

Then why use envelopes?:)

Seriously, PGP serves two basic purposes. It is an envelope for email, and a
signature for email. Thus, it verifies your identity and maintains your
privacy. As things stand today, standard email is not only public, but
whenever a merchant accepts a credit card over the Internet, they are taking
a credit card without seeing the purchaser and without a signature. PGP
supplies both, as well as a simple guarantee that not only did I send a
message (a signature), but that nobody has changed a single letter in the
message since I saw it. These signatures are very useful for contracts, as a
result.

Of course, it is a really really _strong_ envelope....

If anyone wants to use secure email using the OpenPGP standard, but doesn't
want to use PGP yet, you can use www.hushmail.com. I haven't had a chance to
check them out thoroughly yet, but they use OpenPGP, which is supposed to be
able to interact with any other OpenPGP program, including PGP itself.
Phillip Zimmerman, the creator of the original PGP, went to work with Hush
to add OpenPGP when he left the company that now owns PGP. He apparently
didn't like the fact that the current owners wouldn't give out the source
code of PGP, and thus people around the world cannot analyze the code for
flaws and backdoors, one of PGP's strengths.

David Nasset, Sr.