[triadtechtalk] Re: New Computer/ Win7 Upgrade

  • From: armando barreiro <armandobarreiro@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 19:33:04 -0800 (PST)

I have Vista and 7, though not a dual boot. Let me explain what I did to keep
both versions of Windows.

My PC came with Vista Home Premium pre-installed, with a recovery partition in
the HDD supplied with the machine. I was able to build a set of 3 DVD disks
forev the re-installation of the system that would allow me to reverl the
system to the original factory configuration into a new hard disk drive should
ever the original drive crap out, and you all know it can happen.

I later ordered a Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade edition from Amazon when it
first went on sale with the pre-release discount.

I eventually bought a 1TB Hitachi SATA HDD from Amazon for $69 US when it too
was on sale, I should've bought two when I had the chance, and installed that
along with another Seagate 1TB SATA that I bought later from NewEgg for $89.

When I received the Windows 7 upgrade package I removed the original drive that
came with the computer and I used the restoration discs that I had created and
installed Vista in the 1TB Seagate drive. I then upgraded that installation of
Vista to Windows 7 and then I reinstalled the original Vista drive in the
computer. I can  now use the computer's boot options to choose which drive to
boot, as such I can boot either into Vista or Windows 7. I also installed
Mandriva into a 4GB USB jump drive and I can also boot into Linux that way.

There is a convoluted way of installing Windows 7 from an upgrade package(*),
BTW.

The problem with the installation of Windows 7 by the use of an upgrade package
is that you will lose Vista unless you take steps to keep both versions of
Windows.

Maybe the above will help someone. Hey, I boot into Vista more often than I do
into 7.

(*) "Clean install windows 7 with upgrade media"
http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp