[triadtechtalk] Re: New Computer/ Win7 Upgrade

  • From: "Howard" <hbint@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 01:00:13 -0500

Brian ... congratulations on your purchase of a new system. I am sure you will enjoy the new found speed as well as all the new challenges of learning a new operating system. You have became very proficient at learning, testing and even asking about programs, features etc. on computers over the years, and I expect you to carry on the same with the new computer.

I am certainly no expert on Vista, but there are others on TTTs that are, and, as usual, they are willing and able to answer your questions as usual.

Thank you for sharing your new specs with the readers of TTT!

Howard

Subject: [triadtechtalk] New Computer/ Win7 Upgrade

Greeting to all,

I have been very busy setting up my new computer, but wanted to thank all of you who helped me with the selection.

I couldn't be happier with the new Gateway LX6810-0 1 computer and the HP Office Jet 6500 all-in-one printer. I guess I didn't really know how slow and overtaxed my old NEC computer was with the 512MB of Ram and a breath taking speed of 400MB! As Chuck would say LOL!!!

I can't believe what a difference 8GB of RAM and a speed of 2.33GHz makes.

Although many of you had encouraged me to build a new computer my wife (fully knowing all my limitations ) felt it would be better to just pay a little more and avoid the possible frustration of taking on such a large project. Also I would have the new computer up and running right away instead of possibly struggling with the parts for who knows how long.

I followed Howard's advise about the monitor and got one large one instead of two smaller ones. The Samsung 25.5" LCD flat screen it like heaven when compared to the miniature 16" CTX I had with my old system. I think is was Chuck who commented about how vision is an issue as we get older. I can now bump up the text on the screen and breeze through the pages with ease.

I am getting accustomed to Vista while I awaiting for the upgrade DVD for Win7.

Other that the administrative account access issue, the change in name for many of the same things, and putting things in different places, I was very surprised how much I like Vista. I hope it will be meaningful learning that will pave the way when I install Win7.

I have faced tons of issues, questions, and oddities as I play and learn how to use the new computer, OS, and its many new features, but with a little help from Gateway and HP, and with all the knowledge I have gained from the group over the years, I am resolving the issues one at a time. It may not be fast or efficient, but I am surprised how much progress I am making. I know as soon as I said that I will find or face some insurmountable issue!!

I am looking forward to working with voice recognition, virtual drives, the media center TV, etc; and all the things I could not try because of the limitations of my old computer.

Many of these are the things are old hat to many of you, and hope you can pass some of the tips and tricks you have learned to me as I give them a try.

Well, again thanks for all the help.

BRIAN