[THIN] Re: SATA\SAS and SCSI

  • From: Jez <jezosaurus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 23:04:28 +0100

On 11/7/06, Steve Parr <SParr@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

There was a bit of a debate going a few weeks ago re: SATA\SAS vs. SCSI
that was pretty interesting. I may be incorrect but our Dell rep just
told us that though they will support SCSI still they will stop selling
SCSI in a couple of months. Have other people heard the same thing?

The sales rep should be selling the technology, not the buzzwords...

SAS is SCSI. Its just Serial Attached SCSI as opposed to Parallel Attached SCSI.

There was no fuss when hardware vendors stopped selling Wide-Ultra
SCSI and went on to U320 SCSI. The move to SAS is just the same.

And SATA is to SAS what IDE is to SCSI. It's merely the interface /
data transfer technology that has gone from parallel to serial - the
disk technology is still the same.