[THIN] Re: Rebooting Win2k Terminal servers

  • From: "Braebaum, Neil" <Neil.Braebaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 09:57:11 +0100

Comments inline...

I simply don't LOVE Microsoft.

I've worked in the industry for well over a decade. Started off in mainframe
environments, spent a good few years as a UNIX systems programmer - perhaps
the most enjoyable of my career, and for the last 6 or 7 years mainly with
mid-scale OSs (typically Microsoft NT, W2K, Winframe, you get the idea).

> they do have poorly written code.

As do practically most vendors. Your point?

Anybody who hasn't encountered serious issues with other platforms' OS and
applications has simply not been pushed that hard when using them.

Over the years, I've encountered serious OS and *major* application vendors'
software problems that have been on large scale UNIX platforms, and
enterprise level relational databases - so don't tell me Microsoft are
unique - granny and eggs springs to mind.

> However, if you examine the
> situation, context and subject of this pointed comment, it is
> easy to understand why I expressed myself the way I did.
> Microsoft is a Large corporation.  The left brain doesn't
> always talk to the right brain and vice versa.  They write
> extremely complex and time consuming programs that have
> millions of lines of code and logic that at the end of the
> day must all fit together and work to a certain level of
> proficiency or the whole thing is garbage.  Yes, Microsoft
> and every other programming company out there has a tough
> job. With all that said, though, when you are on top of the
> Mountain (King per say) you have to keep doing the job
> cleaner and better than everyone else.  It is simply my
> opinion that Microsoft could be doing a better job.

As could many. Your point?

Some peoples' anti-Microsoft perspective is just as tedious, if not more so,
than those that worship the hallowed ground that is Microsoft.

Technology is technology, is technology...

> If they
> aren't careful, they will become a dinosaur and be seen just
> as they saw IBM in the early 80's.

Whilst there's a certain degree of inevitability, and cycle with it, IBM
never had the prevalence that Microsoft do - simply be merit of computers
being so much more prevalent than they were in IBM's halcyon days.

> Hopefully this clears the
> air a little bit and all of you out there that take some kind
> of personal offense to the comments I have made about
> Microsoft,

I didn't take personal offence at all - I just find the anti-Microsoft thing
as tedious as the pro-Microsoft thing. Clearly YMMV.

> well then...you need help or something.

Et tu?

> They
> aren't your hometown baseball team or anything...they are
> just another big American corporation trying to take your
> money by making a product they think you need.

So why so polarised, then?

> By the way, I'm not a Linux/Unix hacker/cracker.  I'm just an
> average, everyday computer consultant that has seen his fair
> share of many different software companies make mistakes that
> makes my life harder.

Indeed - as have I.

Over the years, I've been seriously let down by some fairly major vendors on
numerous platforms. That is the nature of the beast.

When such inevitability seems to be polarised against one company, over, and
over, and over, and over, it does get a bit tedious. Emperor's new clothes,
and all that. There is *nothing* new under the sun, here.

Those that think there is, and focus purely on Microsoft are either (or all)
naive, inexperienced or blinkered.

> If you make my life harder than it has
> to be, well, I'm going to say something not so nice about
> you.

And no other of those "many different software companies" that made your
life harder, were worth mention in your diatribe?

Neil

This e-mail and its attachments are confidential and are intended for
the above named recipient only. If this has come to you in error,
please notify the sender immediately and delete this email from your
system. You must take no action based on this, nor must you copy or
disclose it or any part of its contents to any person or organisation.

Statements and opinions contained in this email may not necessarily
represent those of Littlewoods. Please note that email communications
may be monitored.

The registered office of Littlewoods Limited and its  subsidiaries
is 100 Old Hall Street, Liverpool, L70 1AB.
Registered number of Littlewoods Limited is 262152
This weeks sponsor - Emergent Online 99Point9.com
Designed to facilitate efficient resolution of your technical server-based
questions, issues and incidents, technical support is a few mouse-clicks away:
you submit your incident-specific support requests via our online support
helpdesk, our certified engineers resolve them while you monitor the progress,
and your systems get back to 99.9% up-time in no time.
http://www.99point9.com