[techtalk] Re: Disk errors in Event Viewer IBM Drives

  • From: Thomas Hurst <tom.hurst@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 15:42:41 +0100

* Andrew Davidson (andrew@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> At 18:17 26/05/2004, you wrote:
>
> > 1) is there away with PCs to mark bad sectors, as there was with my
> > Amiga?
>
> Yes, but with an old IBM you're just putting off the inevitable, and
> risking your data.  Bin fodder for that 75GXP I doubt.

My IBM's going on 5 years old, still going strong :)

  9 Power_On_Hours          0x0012   096   096   000    Old_age   Always
  -       28804

Only oddity:

  4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0012   100   100   000    Old_age   Always
  -       2263
 12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always
  -       940

It likes to stop/start itself for no apprant reason.  Good thing drives
are usually designed for a minimum of 50,000 cycles :)

> > 2) Lurking around here just recently as I do I think Seagates have
> > been getting the thumbs up, any particular one? My IBM is 30Gb so 40
> > or above would do.

I have 4 7200.7's; they're fine, but tbh if you're more bothered by
performance than size and acoustics you might as well go for a 10-15kRPM
drive; max transfer rate won't be much better, but seek time will be on
the order of 4x faster.

> Seagate make fairly good drives.  Failure rate is quite low.  They're
> not the fastest drives available, and they don't make anything above
> 200Gb, but otherwise they're fine.

Their 200G drives are still the only 100G platter drives I know of; that
means they're 2 platter drives, making them quieter and cooler than
the competition.  Speed wise they're also near the top end with regard
to max transfer rate.  Seek time's are a little low, but that's common
to all dense platter drives, except perhaps very high end SCSI ones.

--
Thomas 'Freaky' Hurst  -  freaky@xxxxxxxx  -  http://www.aagh.net/