[techtalk] Re: Disk errors in Event Viewer IBM Drives

  • From: Andrew Davidson <andrew@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 19:24:05 +0100

At 18:17 26/05/2004, you wrote:

>1) is there away with PCs to mark bad sectors, as there was with my Amiga?

Yes, but with an old IBM you're just putting off the inevitable, and
risking your data.  Bin fodder for that 75GXP I doubt.

>2) Lurking around here just recently as I do I think Seagates have been
>getting the thumbs up, any particular one? My IBM is 30Gb so 40 or above
>would do.

Seagate make fairly good drives.  Failure rate is quite low.  They're not
the fastest drives available, and they don't make anything above 200Gb, but
otherwise they're fine.

Andrew