[techtalk] Re: Disk errors in Event Viewer IBM Drives

  • From: "Gary Colville" <ramtop@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 01:41:34 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bashy" <bashy.maillists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <techtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, May 26, 2004 11:07 PM
Subject: [techtalk] Re: Disk errors in Event Viewer IBM Drives

> The idea was just to keep things going until I get round to it with in the
> next month or so, How would I do it?

IBM's diagnostic program can re-locate bad sectors. You won't get the data
in any bad sectors back, but they should stop causing problems after you run
a filesystem check in Windows. It should be available somewhere on
www.hitachigst.com.

But if you don't want to lose all you data, buy a new drive as soon as you
can. GXPs have a nasty habit of going from semi-working to stone dead very
quickly.

> You don't sound so enthusiastic as I thought you would, what make would
you
> suggest? I prefer speed to silence.

The latest Samsungs are good, just a bit hard to find. The Maxtor DM+9s are
not bad, too. Failure rate is a tad higher than I'd like but they're cheap
and pretty fast if you get an 8MB cache version.

The advice I give to people these days is that drives are so cheap you
should buy two and use Ghost to make a copy of the first drive onto the
second one every so often. That way you never have to worry about the drive
going tits-up at the wrong time.

--
:::: Gary Colville :::::: Mail : ramtop@xxxxxxxxx ::::
--