[TechAssist] Re: RCA model # F32683SB, CTC197CE2,dead, relay clicks.

  • From: "Wayne Vanaman" <Wayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 17:05:18 -0600

Excellent point Leonard.  An active test is better than a passive test.  In
the CTC19x series I have seen many IHVTs that just don't break down untill
you pass a couple hundred volt peaks.  If you have an external power supply,
say 30v + and a drive signal you are good to go.  The Sencore built it stuff
only goes up to about 15vdc and that is not enough to break down the
transformer.

I have a digital storage o'scope so it is easier for me to see the ringing
on an IHVT however here is how to do it with an analog scope.

1.  Set the scope on "Normal Trigger"--not automatic, which most techs use.
2.  Set the scope on about 20 uS.
3.  Set the scope to trigger on about 200v. (if you are on the collector of
the output transistor)
    a.  If you can not scope the HOT collector directly use a secondary,
such as the 200v supply
    b.  set the scope to trigger on about 15-20% of the peak pulse you would
expect there.
4.  Turn the intensity of the trace up.
5.  Hit the power button while watching the scope.

What you will see if the IHVT is bad is a series of pulses decaying in
amplitude.

Wayne Vanaman
Omega Electronics
6904 W Fairfield Dr