[TechAssist] Re: RCA model # F32683SB, CTC197CE2,dead, relay clicks.

  • From: Gary McCartney <gary@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 23:19:59 -0400

Sounds like a good unit.

I have the HR Diemen HOT output simulator which is along the same line.
With this unit, you connect the second anode lead of the flyback
directly to the unit, then clip onto the flyback B+ and collector
terminals, plus all the grounds. Then the unit will display a code
telling you what condition the flyback is in and if it is in good
condition, it will display the output in kV on a digital display. If the
flyback is bad, the codes will tell you if it is a shorted primary or
secondary, or whatever. I have saved myself from buying flybacks and
also saved from blowing up HOT's too. I wouldn't want to be without it.
The manufacturer claims it can check flybacks accurately in circuit but
I find I usually have to remove the flyback to avoid false readings.
There is also a test point to connect your scope so you can see the
actual HOT collector waveform the flyback is producing.

http://www.hrdiemen.es/indexeng.shtml

Gary McCartney

McCartney Electronics
Guelph Ontario Canada
Est. 1984
email: gary (at) number63.ca

J Silverman wrote:

> An instrument made for troubleshooting tv deflection problems without
> blowing up things. Diehl is long out of business but they had lots of
> inventory and I see them frequently offered for sale by people that have a
> bunch of them and by individuals. Takes the place of the HOT and has a test
> mode with trouble lights and a run mode. The tv must have B+ and I dont
> think it will work on the 12 and 24 volt B+ units.
> Every day I will see posts on the list asking questions about deflection
> problems that they could have handled by themselves if they had one of
> these. There were a variety of models. I have the MKV. It cost me $125. I
> bought it when I had a tech that ordered a FBT every time something came in
> with a shorted HOT. After we got it, it showed that only one out of 10 had a
> defective FBT, and was a great help in troubleshooting the source of the
> problem.
> Jerry Silverman
> Greentron Inc
> 4 Newland Ave