[TechAssist] Re: CLONING Windows 2000 Pro

  • From: Bil Green <tv.vcrrepair@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Gary McCartney <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 01:05:41 -0700

Gary,

I don't really know the difference between low level formatting and
FDISK. I was wondering why the formatting took only a few seconds
using Drive Backup. All the problems were present before I formatted.

The new drive is almost exactly the same. Both are 40GB, ATA100,
7200RPM. One is WD and the other Seagate. I use "BootIt NG" to backup
and restore MBR and Partition Tables. Can I use this to backup the
new drive and restore the bad one - and then should I clone this
drive again?

You said:
One thing you might be able to do would be to do an fdisk /mbr to
restore the boot sector.

I already tried a MBR/PT restore using a backup I had saved. Tried
FIXBOOT also (Recovery Console command).

As I mentioned Windows does boot up - just crashes the first try or
two and then runs too slow and takes far too long to shutdown. Does
this seem like it could be a drive problem? I thought chkdsk or the
automatic Windows 2000 repair (on CD) would have fixed this (tried
both). Or at least the MBR/PT restore (I'm not an expert yet, just
trying...).

I will try your last suggestion if you think it still applies (after
what I just told you). Another fine mess I got myself into!

Thanks again Gary,

--
Best regards,
 Bil                            mailto:tv.vcrrepair@xxxxxxxxxxx

Wednesday, October 23, 2002, 11:31:16 PM, you wote: